CURRENT CHARTS


Click HERE to view current charts






Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Toesday 5/11/10 wrap up

Leading off with the Elliott wave count to lay out the background for today's trades.  In yesterday's update it was noted that the action yesterday typified a 4th wave with a 5th wave in progress at the close.  The 4th wave part of the analysis was correct, but the 5th wave had actually not yet commenced as of yesterday, rather it started after a gap down open this morning.  Prices then moved steadily up through the day until peaking almost exactly at the spot where the market started its collapse last week.   It also happens to be the price where the 4th wave of that sell off terminated, which is classic Elliott.  If the drop of 4/26 through last Thursday is indeed a 1st wave, then the activity of the rally since then fits Elliott parameters to a tee.    

So coming into today, it appeared that we were terminating the rally up from last Friday's lows at the very least, and quite possibly from the crash lows of last Thursday.  As you can see below, the Buy line moved solidly above the Sell line at the opening this morning, but a decision was made to trade the short side of the equation given the Elliott count.  Thus two short trades were executed today, both geared off the V Stochs.  The first one was this morning when the 5 minute V Stoch rolled over, that trade was stopped out at a loss at the high of the day.  Frustrating.  Hindsight is 20-20, and looking at the Elliott chart above it's now obvious that the stop should have been set a little higher.

The second trade was made when the 30 minute V Stoch rolled over this afternoon. That trade was short at ES 1154.00 and is still open.  After hours market is dropping steadily and is at 1145.00 as I write this, so the short ES's are looking good.

2 comments:

  1. OK Al, we are looking good. Today, I sold my long position in SSO as soon as your SO signal came on. which means I have not lost 1 penny during the "Fat Finger" week. I quickly reversed and shorted with TZA and held on even after your BC light came on. Happy to see your SO show up as I was still short. Why? Last week left a big gap much lower and the last upward minuette 5th was painting rather clearly.

    Only problem for me is that I shorted a small position, like 15%.

    Sorry I can't always post live during the day, sometimes I have people all over my desk. I still have a day job but work on computers so that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things worked out well for you today. Have to say my trading today was clumsy, I wish I had identified that 4th wave level of resistance yesterday, it sure popped out at me when I was reviewing charts tonight. I also have time pressure during the day, I manage an apple biz full time as well as trying to trade and keep this site updated, quite often I'm working the market with a call holding (or in progress) and an employee standing by my desk wanting a question answered - gets nuts.
    On the market, this thing could bite the bear case in the rear - very treacherous here IMO.
    BTW, you mentioned Wisconsin Dells the other day, I live about 60 minutes from there.

    ReplyDelete